Community Service Projects
The people and places we support through Servite Community Service:
The organisations listed below go out of their way to receive and support our students. The schools and care homes in particular appreciate the consistency of the girls’ weekly visits and have commented regularly on the benefits this presence brings to their clients, in particular older people.
Due to the fixed timetable of the Core RE Curriculum Our Lady’s Convent High School provides its sixth formers’ community outreach over two periods on Thursdays and Fridays. The external visits run for 7 weeks in term 1 and 5 weeks in term 2.
Currently our community outreach is active in the following locations, which fall broadly into these three areas of support;
- Veridian Housing group
- Jubb Powell sheltered accommodation
- Suffolk House sheltered accommodation
- Peregrine residential care home
- St Anne’s residential care home
- Activities include;
- Lunch - Support with lunchtime and feeding duties
- Social – conversing; group activities and games; flower arranging; visits to celebration meals at school;
- General – very general admin support;
- Winter Heroes project (phone-based community outreach to isolated older people, in collaboration with Viridian Housing group)
- Inter-generational flower arrangement
Children and families
- Organisations -
- St Mary's Priory Catholic Infant and Junior Schools
- St John Vianney
- St Ignatiaus Primary School
- Stamford Hill Primary School
- St Francis de Sales
- St Mary's Church of England Primary School
- William Patten Primary
- Triangle Community Centre
- Castle View Nursery
- Activities -
- Reading – Reading buddy scheme for KS1 & KS2 primary school children
- General – Support to teachers during break-time duties
- Social – Play time with students during lunch breaks
- Organisational – Preparing class and nursery spaces for afternoon sessions
- Organisations -
- Catholic Workers
- Hackney Foodbank Dstribution Centre
- Boiler House Community Centre
- Scope Campaigns and charity shop
- Sandford Court (Garden)
- Morrisons Supermarket Foodbank collection
- Activities -
- Logisitcs –distribution of food to Foodbank clients;
- Promoting Foodbank to general public;
- Supporting Scope manager with sorting donations and window displays;
- Organisational – sorting & organising food stuff;
- Catholic Workers - preparing dining service for clients
Some feedback from partner organisations -
- “Very helpful the students supported the children at lunchtime and interacted well will all the reception children in the hall and playground.”
- “Lovey to see young people in the nursery.”
- “The girls were a pleasure to have around in this setting (nursery); they were positive, humorous and focused on the tasks they were given.”
- “The girls were focused and engaged in the spirit of the scheme.”
- “The support the students provided was very helpful to our residents. It provided a positive change for our residents and it helped to meet with others who brought a different point-of-view.”
In close collaboration and on behalf of Viridian Social Housing Group small teams of trained pupils call isolated older residents in the run-up to winter period to audit their needs and sign-post to additional support the housing group is able to provide.
Our Lady’s, Morrison’s Plc Stamford Hill and Viridian Social Housing Group have pooled resources to train teams of students in basic flower arrangement skills in order to provide older residents of care homes with flower bouquets and flower arranging workshops. Morrison’s Plc provide a weekly donation of flowers to make this project possible.
Servite Community Service students provide support at Hackney’s main food bank depot where it is critical that the large quantities of donations are sorted and distributed. As part of the project students also engage with the general public at the Morrison’s superstore on Stamford Hill where a donation bank is located.
Jubb Powell Community Allotment
The students provided practical assistance in the building of this new community food growing allotment that will be used by the residents of this local retirement home.
Boiler House Community Centre
The students are supporting a number of initiatives in this local community centre including lunches for stroke survivors and activities for local mother’s and their children.