Things to do in your summer holidays and beyond
Please enter an introduction for your news story here.
1. Cordswainers Grow is a community led group of ex- Our Lady's students. They are a Hackney based community interest company focusing on connecting people and place through discovery. We specialise in projects and events which bring people and their natural environment together in a collaborative and creative way. By focusing on innovative teaching and experiential learning Cordwainers Grow hopes to connect and inspire a network of social and environmental innovators.
They are running running sessions in Hackney in the autumn to help children understand how food advertising works, how it affects them and then design a real-life anti-junk food advertising campaign that will run in the borough and online. They'll design a logo, T shirts, badges, stencils and posters - and use their own ideas to get their message out to other children. This could be part of an after-school club or within the school day. If you are interested contact: email@example.com/ 07714 288 286
2. Step into the NHS The Step into the NHS schools’ competition offers students in years 8 and 9 the chance to win a tablet or a £50 Amazon voucher! Students are challenged to research and select one of the 350 plus careers available within the NHS. Once selected, they create materials to promote it, starting with a job description to demonstrate their understanding of the role followed by a fun and lively job advertisement to appeal to other people their age. Students can enter individually or in teams of up to four. You can decide what works best for your school and students. Competition entries must be received by 31 January 2018.
3. Volunteering Positive Futures London. Course is open to young people aged 13-25 years connected to Hackney. The course has an end goal of the volunteers hosting a small scale event in at a local community space. The course will be over 5 weeks to allow young people to build their event ideas and promote. Level 3 AQA Skills for Youth Volunteering will cover:
- Volunteering in the community
- Skills for volunteering and employment
- Working with others
- Project planning
- The course dates are:
- Tuesday 25th July 12-4pm
- Tuesday 1st August 12-4pm
- Tuesday 8th August 12-4pm
- Tuesday 15th August - Event Day
- Tuesday 22nd August 12-4pm To book young people on to the course email: Alexia.firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 19th July 2017. Also see attached our summer guide of volunteering opportunities which you can share with your young people also.
4. Summer Academy for Young People: Architecture, Planning and Design. If you’re considering pursuing a career in architecture or planning, are interested in the construction industry or just want to find out more about how to have a voice in your city then New London Architecture’s Summer Academy is where you need to be this July. Through a range of hands-on practical activities such as digital design, architectural drawing and model making workshops as well as inspiring trips to new developments you will have a fun, challenging and creative chance to learn more about the Built Environment. You will learn about the key issues in the city that affect you. You will come up with original ideas, design buildings, create models and do a final presentation of your work at The Victoria and Albert Museum’s Futureopolis Architecture Festival on 12th August.