WWho is available in school to support our students?
All key pastoral staff in the school are trained in Child Protection and Safeguarding:
- Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL): Mrs Kemp (Assistant Headteacher)
- Other staff trained in child protection who can deputise for DSL: Mr Smith (Deputy Headteacher), and Ms McDonald (Headteacher),
- Child Protection Officer: Miss Dacosta (Support Staff)
- Students can be referred to a Learning Mentor or Counsellor - this is usually overseen by the Head of Year.
|Pastoral Team trained in Child Protection:|
|Ms Bedneau (SENCO and HoD Inclusion)|
Our Lady's Safeguarding Statement
Safeguarding is the umbrella term for ensuring all our students feel safe and are able to achieve their potential. Safeguarding and Child Protection come under the same remit but given the very sensitive nature of Child Protection matters, a separate Child Protection Policy is in place at school. Safeguarding crosses all borders within the school environment from DBS (formerly CRB) of staff to site security and safety around the building.
The Children's Act(1989) and September 2016 DfE document Keeping Children Safe in Education are the main documents that form the foundation of our Safeguarding Procedures within school. All Staff receive update training every year on Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures in order to refresh and highlight any changes. All new members of staff are given training on the school procedures for Safeguarding and Child Protection as part of their induction. Staff and students know who the Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) (NCSA) is and the relevant members of staff who can assist. Information is displayed and regularly updated in the staff room.
All matters relating to the well-being of children are underpinned by ‘Every Child Matters: Change for Children’ (DFES, January 2006) by which all children must have the support they need to:
- Be healthy
- Stay safe
- Enjoy and achieve
- Make a positive contribution
- Achieve economic well-being
Other aspects of Safeguarding can be found in other school policies as listed below:
- Health and Safety
- Positive Handling
- Curriculum (inc Sex & Relationships education and Drugs policies)
- Staffing Policies (eg. Whistle-blowing)